Monday, June 13, 2005

colo_lady's Kitchen

Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen



Posted by Colo_Lady (My Page) on Tue, Mar 22, 05 at 19:26
Greetings Forum Friends!
FINALLY, it is DONE. I am so pleased that you took this journey with me. The outcome would doubtless have been compromised without your help and knowledge. Plus you made it FUN along the way. And besides, no one else could ever fully appreciate being TKO - everyone else figured I was just crazy. I sure wish I had found this forum earlier in the planning phase. I stumbled in here after already having ordered my cabinets, appliances and countertop. It turned out okay in spite of me.

Details:
Cabinets: Medallion Knotty Alder in hazelnut stain burnished (glazed) These are
framed cabinets - I would not have ordered framed cabinets if I would have found the
Kitchen Forum sooner. The shallower drawers are too shallow to be practical.
Upgrades include: full extension drawers (with SmartMotion), double pull-out trash/recycle bins, Super Susan in one base corner cabinet. 2 cabinets are custom.
Counters: Desert Amarillo granite, polished on the island, honed on the perimeter.
Flooring: Red Oak
Backsplash: 6X6 Peru Sienna tumbled travertine with 4X4 tumbled travertine and listello over rangetop
Rangetop: Wolf 4-burner gas with griddle
Hood liner: Vent-A-Hood 600 CFM with halogen lights
Oven: Kitchen Aid Superba single with convection - Architect Series
Fridge: Kitchen Aid Superba fill size SXS
Dishwasher: Kitchen Aid fully integrated w/custom wood panel
Warming Drawer: Frigidaire Professional Series Warm & Serve #PLEW30S3CCA
Microwave Oven: Magic Chef MCD1311ST 1.3 cu ft stainless (el cheapo)
Sink: Kindred Big Single w/bottom grid
Faucets: main-Kohler Vinatta / filtered water Mountain Plumbing Point-of-Use faucet
Undersink drinking water filter system: Kenmore dual cartridge 625.684600
Garbage Disposal: Kenmore 3/4 HP (7-year warranty!!)
Tie Kick Heater: Beacon Morris
Island light: World Imports, purchased from Homeclick.com
UC lights: American Lighting xenon bars w/built in transformer
Swivel stools with faux suede padded seats: Home Depot
Rugs: Rug-Direct.com
Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. Thanks again for being a part of my life during this insanity!
Love and Kisses,
Marcia

Here is a link that might be useful: Colo Lady's kitchen pics

Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia,
Really beautiful kitchen !!! So many great details !! Very warm and inviting !!!! You did good !! Pour a nice glass of wine, kick back and enjoy !!!
Chris


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

What a rich, warm look you have created! Just so welcoming! I especially love your Desert Amarillo granite, backsplash and the Knotty Alder cabinets. Would love to see a closer view of the backsplash for detailed color and texture, but from here it is really warm. I think Medallion makes a nice cabinet - saw some in our KD showroom. Their catalogue seems full of nice choices.
BIG congratulations, Cololady!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Wow, what a transformation! Totally updated and gorgeous! It looks so warm and inviting. Kudos for a job well done!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Beautiful!
What is the finish on your Vinnata faucet, is it brushed chrome or brushed nickel?


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Wow, Colo Lady, what a gorgeous kitchen! To think you did all that hard work before you even found this forum! I like the warm tones of the countertop and the cabinets, they seem made for each other. Do you like your KA appliances? Also, what size is your walk in pantry - it looks about what mine is going to be (4x3). Congratulations on a job well done and enjoy your beautiful space! P.S. - Colorado is my all time favorite state, hands down!
DONNA


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia ~ Fabulous!!!!!!! I love your kitchen ~ it's so warm and inviting. That hood is wonderful and so are the cabinets. While you may fret a bit about the whole frameless/framed thing, I wouldn't worry a bit ~ they are SO beautiful. I also think the hardware you chose is just a perfect accent for the flavor of the room.
Sit back, enjoy and raise a toast to yourself on a job well done and selections well made!
~ Elizabeth


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Brava! As everyone else has said, the choices work so well together. Great work, and great design.
A question: the rugs in the family room (the darker red orientals, not the kilims, I think, in the kitchen) -- where did you get those?
Congratulations :)


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

This is truly one of the best I've seen yet. So warm, inviting, well put together. It is gorgeous (as you can tell I really like it!). Well done.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Truly truly beautiful! That granite is major wow - really makes a gorgeous statement. I love the whole look, from the way the backsplash works with the granite to all the colors and appliances and design. You've done an outstanding job, and have a kitchen to really be proud of! Congratulations!!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia~
You truly deserve a huge round of applause~your kitchen is stunning. A very inviting space, well planned, functional AND beautiful. Great, great job (and don't you dare leave us)!
BTW-LOVE the honed granite and your range hood!!!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia
That is one warm and inviting kitchen- and what a transformation from the old one! I really love the cabinets and the entire range top, oven, microwave area-it's so well thought out. Beautiful granite-your cabinets and countertops were made for each other. Your backsplash made me say "OOOOHHH" when I first saw it. My wife thought I hurt myself when I said it, so I had her come take a look. She said "wow-that's a stunning kitchen". I think she's becoming TKO herself!
Great job!
Rich


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

That's one beautiful kitchen, Colo Lady! I love all your choices and you did a wonderful job! It's a treat for me (and a sneak preview), since I chose the same honed granite with alder cabinetry. It looks beautiful together and makes your kitchen a very warm inviting place. I really love it! Okay, I have a dumb question. How do you know if your cabinets are framed or unframed?? Mine are in and I don't know the difference.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia, Congratulations! I know you're so happy to have such a fabulous kitchen. It turned out beautifully. I absolutely love your honed granite, and your alder cabinets. Great job!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Outstanding ! I love it !
I too would like to know the questions above but I would also like to add "where did you get your bar stools ? They are beautiful and just what I will be looking for. Do they swivel ?


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

I spoke too soon! I did not notice Page 2 on my first visit. So now I do see the Wolf-top bump out with the gorgeous backsplash design behind it in more detail.
It is worth saying once again: beautiful materials & beautiful design job!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Awesome! I love Knotty Alder. That is what we are putting in if my house ever gets finished. Your pics make me even more excited to have Alder.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

You did a fantastic job! You should be very proud! Is your hood drywall with textured paint? Stucco? It is just gorgeous.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Wow! Thank you everyone for your generous comments. You've really made my evening!
Loving WDW - ummmm I think the faucet is brushed nickel.
Donna - the walk in pantry is 4'3" x 5'. I have to admit that I was spoiled because my previous pantry was easily twice as big as this one is, but I had to give up some space to open the kitchen to the dining room. Our house isn't huge so this was a sacrifice well worth making. The flow was improved 100% by doing this.
Fly Left - Ahh, the rugs... My problem was having to match a red (!) couch that came with the husband. In my search for the perfect rugs, I found a red tribal poly one at Lowes that came big enough for the dining room. I figured the poly would be good in case food was spilled on it - that way I wouldn't freak out. The price was right (under $500 for a BIG rug). The others (there are three more) I got half price at a sale at Expo. They're 100% wool, hand knotted, and well made - all tribals. I shopped around a lot! I was pretty picky about them but had to match the red couch, not an easy task - trust me.
AnnaLee - check out the link below for a tutorial on framed vs frameless cabinets.
sugar/spice - The bar stools came from Home Depot. The have padded faux suede seats and yes, they swivel. I think I paid about $65 each - a steal, IMO.
Again, thank you for your kind comments.
Here is a link that might be useful: tutorial on framed vs frameless cabinets


 o answer to Allison

Allison - my GC built a wood box around the hood liner and covered it with drywall. He put this curved plastic stuff at the corners to soften them. Our walls have the hand troweled texture, and we probably should have done that with the hood, but it was so nice to have a smooth texture for a change, I decided instead to just faux finish the surface with paint and glaze (it took me forever to make this decision). It gives it depth without texture. I was also concerned that a textured hood would just collect dust and grease and grime, all of which I can't stand.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

C Lady,
Your granite is absolutely stunning! You did a fantastic job with your kitchen remodel.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

What a transformation! Wonderful use of your space - it seems so logical now, it's hard to imagine the old layout ever worked. Just lovely!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia: What a transformation! You had a great vision for the space. You must feel like you live in a totally new house! I like the bookshelf at the end of your island for a splash of color, and the TV cabinet is a stroke of genius! Beautiful door style and moldings. Congratulations!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia S,
What a practical but absolutely gorgeous kitchen...I love it. It looked great even when it wasn't finished! I love the colors (very similar to the ones we're going with!)...what color paint did you use in the kitchen?
BTW, your budget spreadsheet has been very helpful...thanks again for sharing.
The other Marsha S, also from IL


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Colo_Lady,
I have been waiting to see your pictures! Your kitchen is beautiful. I really love how different your layout is (love the oven, micro, TV area). Thanks for all of the help making decisions about my cabinets. I decided to go with cherry (Medallion, St. Andrews), even though I loved your alder cabinets. The cherry was just a better fit for our style home. (traditional colonial). You did good!
Sue


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Very very pretty. Great Island and I like how you recessed the oven.
Great Idea for the TV cabinet. Please don't let any hints of what is happening on 24 slip, I am having it taped for me and am only up to 12pm.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Colo Lady, Oh it really came out beautifully--I love the granite, and the backsplash and the warm look of the cabinets; it's a very inviting room! Congratulations!!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Wow! What a wonderful space you have created. Your home looks so inviting and calming. Love the counters and your appliances, too. I can't believe the difference from the original kitchen. This was truly work well done. Enjoy!
As ever, Rose (2273)


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Colo lady, your kitchen is absolutely stunning. And for what it's worth, I love the red couch. Of course when I post my pictures and you see my red living room you'll understand why! LOL I'll bet that island gets a lot of use, enjoying a glass of wine and a little snack.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

I don't think any of the KD I have met with could do anywhere near that fabulous!!!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

What a beautiful job you did! It's a wonderful combination of materials, and I love the southwestern feel...rugged, natural, beautiful (very Colorado, wouldn't you say?).


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Can you tell me more info on your "telephone table". Is it made out of pine? In your pic it looks very similar to my entertainment center cabinet and end tables. I have been looking for something similar and would love more info on it.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

It is very warm and inviting looking. I love the bookshelf at end of island and I'm envious of your walk-in pantry!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

mmower - the telephone table is indeed pine. It's of the same ilk as the "rustico" furniture out of Mexico. I bought it at a local store here that carries the rustico furniture - we have several pieces of it in different rooms. Some of our other pieces are stained and varnished - the telephone table has a minimal coat of wax, and that's all. That's about all I can tell you about it...
ovenbird - I forgot to post my paint colors - duh-me. The wall paint is Ralph Lauren Barn Owl; the trim is Behr Bright White; the faux finish on the rangehood is Barn Owl with a taupe glaze and then a brown glaze on top (PITA, for sure, but worth it).


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia, I've seen snippets of your kitchen from other threads and I knew it was beautiful but WOW! seeing it all together is stunning! I don't even recognize the space from your before pix.
I, too, love the granite and your backspash!
I don't know if you're in the decorating business, but if not you should definitely consider it. You've got incredible style and taste; well done!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Thank you for sharing your kitchen. It is gorgeous. I love the range hood. Your granite is one of my favorites. Sure warm colors. You did a great job and should be very pleased and proud.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Oh I love it..I haven't been here for a while as my job is taking over my life....including my remodel!
You did a fantastic job. I love everything...so warm and inviting. So many WOW factors..but the granite is Double WOW!!!!
Awesome incredible job....:)


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

YAY! I'm so glad you folks like it. You are a discerning audience, for certain, so that makes the compliments all the more sweet.
And again, thanks for the all the help along the way!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia, I don't get to this side of the kitchen forum anymore and this is a lesson to me not to stay away! WOW your new space is amazing. I thought you were not to be finished for another couple of weeks! My oldest daughter is building a new house and your kitchen is just what it sounds like she wants! I'm making sure she sees your kitchen. It is beautiful.
Isn't it amazing how we can fill up our pantrys so quickly? I think I see a few items in your pantry that I recieved in my swap box that you sent me??? LOL, your new space is beautiful.
Happy cooking!!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Marcia,
Your kitchen is so wonderful, and such a change from your old one. It's the most beautiful kitchen I've seen in Colorado, and much larger than the ones in my families homes there! You must be so proud of the wonderful job you have done, well done.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Wow, it's been a long journey, hasn't it? The colors are so harmonious, it's really helpful to see the proportions of aisles and islands and counters. Flooring is beautiful. I wish we could finish - and I wish I could have your pantry.
Lovely, just lovely.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Colo Lady, what a wonderful transformation. I especially love your island and your backsplash. The granite is gorgeous.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Wow!!!! That is one absolutely gorgeous kitchen! Great job!!!!


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

Beautiful job! So nice and warm.I especially love the backsplash.


 o RE: Colo Lady's Finally Finished Southwest Kitchen

I wish I had seen your island before I did mine. I could have utilized some areas a bit better. You have every right to be tickeld pink over all of your hard work! Your kitchen is absolutely lovely! Congratulations~ !~~~
Sheri

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful kitchen! I especially like your listello. Please share the name of that listello with me.