Thursday, June 23, 2005

henrysmom's Kitchen

It's finally finished

Posted by henrysmom (My Page) on Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 15:13

Hello to all - I've been lurking here for months while renovating my kitchen, and it is finally done. Thought I'd post a link to the pictures of the process. The renovation was for my catering business, so it's really functional and utilitarian but at the same time I think it blends well into our Italianate Victorian house (condo) well.
In case anyone wants to know, the components are the following:
Cabinets: my old ones repainted, centers taken out and glass put in, and crowned off with moulding.
Countertops, exterior: honed Absolute Black granite
Island countertop: John Boos Butcher Block
Wooden pantry shelving: Williams-Sonoma (this is a temporary solution to an I-ran-out-of-money-but-need-built-in-shelves problem)
Sink: Whitehaus apron front fireclay
Range: Viking 48" all gas, open burners, w/char grill
Hood: Vent-a-hood w/magic lung (SO quiet!)
Fridge: Traulsen restaurant all-refrigerator (kind of noisy but better with the enclosure, and so roomy I'm in heaven!)
Freezer: Subzero undercounter all-freezer w/ice maker
Dishwasher: Bosch
Pot rack: custom-made in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico by a wrought-iron artisan named Luis
Pendent lights: Pottery Barn
Hope you like it!
http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=817645870106


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: It's finally finished

Sorry, left out the faucet/potfiller. Both are by Chicago Faucets.

 o RE: It's finally finished

WOW!! That fridge is sick!!! I would love to have that in my kitchen. You must be in catering heaven. Congrats.
It's beautiful.

 o RE: It's finally finished

The entire kitchen is sick! It's really beautiful and the choices are all that I would have made myself. In fact, I was really glad to see that you have pull outs without drawer fronts on the kitchen side of the island. That's what I want to do, too. Love the counters and cabinets--even the red ladder!!

 o RE: It's finally finished

clickable link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=817645870106


 o RE: It's finally finished

I love your kitchen, especially the fact that it's smaller but functional. Everything is there to work, at least that's how I see it. I've been considering some of the ideas for my kitchen redo and I am impressed that your's worked so well and looks so fantastic. Congrats and thanks for posting the pics. Sometimes, this is my favorite part of the forums because I can actually see everyone's great ideas come together.

 o RE: It's finally finished

A wonderful classic kitchen. You've put together a really beautiful kitchen. Good luck with your business!

 o RE: It's finally finished

Very good looking kitchen and one I'd like to go back to for details when I have more time. Had we not opened to the dining room I had hoped for a potrack/light arrangement like yours. Another kitchen perhaps!! Do you like the function of it now that you have it combined like that?

And what a nice touch of the three bouquets on the top of the range. Adds a nice quirky bit...functional too.

btw, what are the dimensions of the kitchen pls? As much as I love my own, I think I could happily walk into yours and feel at home at once.


 o RE: It's finally finished

MsAzadi,
Thanks for your nice comments - I do love the function of the potrack/lighting combo, but was worried before all my pots went up that the light would be obscured or that shadows would fall on the island, but as you can see it isn't a problem. I used to have a large kitchen table/island with a low shelf where I stacked all my pots and pans, but with a nearly-crawling 8-month-old, I figured that up high was the best place for them now.
RE: the three "bouquets" of wooden utensils on top of the range: my contractor actually put them there on his very last day of work so he could take some photos - he decorated my kitchen better than I would have!
Kitchen is 220 sq feet, which I used to think was rather large, but after seeing so many beautiful rooms on this site I realized that it is rare to have a "kitchen-only" space anymore. So many are part of "great rooms", which I wish I could have had but am restricted by the structural wall to the living room. At any rate, I agree that it is very homey and I couldn't be happier with how it fits so well into this 1860's house. Thanks again!

 o

RE: It's finally finished

Absolutely great kitchen, pretty much my ideal.

 o RE: It's finally finished

Wow-there clearly are cooks in your family! It is a great room, must be very fun to cook in.

 o RE: It's finally finished

Lovely. You must be so excited! You did a wonderful job pulling everything together. I love it.

 o RE: It's finally finished

Henry would you tell your mom she has an email???

 o RE: It's finally finished

Fabulous. Love everything about it!

 o RE: It's finally finished

Wow!!! I love your kitchen too! I'm so glad I checked the gallery!! Your cabinets look GREAT -- really great job. The stainless steel backsplash area behind your range -- is that something that comes with your range (ie VIking product)? Or did you order it from somewhere else?

 o RE: It's finally finished

What a beautiful kitchen!! I love your large island with the drawers & pullouts on the one side, and the bookshelves on the other side - that's a great idea!! I also like that you have stools on the end of the island - it's more usable that way. LOVE the 48" range - and I've never seen a fridge that large. Congratulations - and thank you for sharing.

 o RE: It's finally finished

Love your kitchen! Your Whitehaus sink, how deep is it? It looks like the shallower model. I'm wondering how do you like it? With the undermount is gains a little depth, but was wondering if it was deep enough or did you find splashing on the countertops?

0 comments: