Green, Energy-efficient, Universally Designed Transitional Kitchen
Details from ICFgreen on 9/28/2012
Link to ICFgreen's Gardenweb finished kitchen post
Link to ICFgreen's Finished photos
When we built in our forever home in 2011-12, Our goal was to create a kitchen that put function over form, was energy-efficient, earth-friendly and fully accessible, comfortable for multiple cooks, and practical for our everyday life. Since I cook our dinners from scratch most every night, I wanted to have everything I needed to make most any dinner I wanted without having to make a run to the store (hello, pantry!) We knew it would have a Euro bent, with some nods to my husband's heritage. Because I need order to function with my brain injury, we knew it would be practical and organized. We are thrilled with how it turned out.
- Cabinets: Custom made by our amazing Amish cabinet maker, Joe Yoder. All drawers are full extension and soft close with Blumotion. We loved working with Joe, and he will be making the custom cabinetry in my pantry eventually, after we catch our financial breath!
- Touch Activated Recycling Center: Custom made by Joe Yoder. Powerws by Blum Servodrive.
- Counters: Hanstone Specchio White quartz, with a small slab of marble on the baking center. (saved $$ by buying a marble remnant. Otherwise the baking center would have been quartz as well).
- Floors: US Floors Marcas Areia planks
- Backsplash: Solistone Mardi Gras in Carrollton.
- Paint: Sherwin Williams Oyster Bay (Harmony No-VOC)
- Main Sink: Blanco Stellar Single Bowl with grid (441024)
- Main Faucet: Delta Touch 2.0 Pilar
- Main Disposal: Waste King model 8000 1 HP
- Prep Sink: Blanco Stellar Single Bowl (441026)
- Prep Faucet: Delta Touch 2.0 Pilar
- Prep Disposal: Waste King model 8000 1 HP
- Insta-Hot: Insinkerator
- Cooktop: Dacor PGM365-1S (saved $$$ by buying a floor model)
- Venthood: Vent-a-Hood SLDH14-136SS (saved $$$ by buying a floor model)
- Double Wall Oven: Jenn-Air JJW9830DD (saved $$$ by buying a floor model)
- Microwave: Sharp KB6425PS (saved $$ by buying a dent and scratch)
- Fridge: Whirlpool GSS26C4XXY
- Dishwasher: Bosch SHE68E05UC
- Freezer (in pantry): Frigidaire FKFH21F7HW
- Island Pendants: ET2 Fizz
- Under Cabinet Lighting: Task Lighting Sempria LED UC Series
- Under Cabinet Outlets: Task Lighting Angle Power Strips TR Series
- Pantry Light: Maxim Malibu
- Hardware: Generic pull bars that available everywhere.
1. Kitchen Basics
Type of Remodel: New Kitchen/New House
Kitchen installation: Hired General Contractor
Budget: Middle Budget , High Budget
Location: U.S. non-specific
Location Type: Suburban
2. Kitchen Design
Kitchen Design Family/Function: Multiple Cooks, Small Children, Entertain Frequently, Wheelchair Accessible, User-Friendly for the Elderly, User-Friendly for the Disabled
Kitchen Designer: Self-Designed
Kitchen Size: Large (over 350 sq.ft)
Kitchen Dimensions (WxL): 19'x19x
Kitchen Height: Height 9 feet or less
Kitchen Shape: Open Kitchen, U-Shaped Kitchen plus Island
Kitchen Style: Modernist Style, Transitional Style
Kitchen Island: Multiple Islands (2), Island With Seating, Island Without Seating, Island with one level
Kitchen Peninsula: No Peninsula
Kitchen Seating: Island Counter Seating, Bar Seating
Kitchen Ceiling: No Special Ceiling Design
Design Special Features: Baking Center, Elevated Dishwasher, Built-in Pantry, Desk, Message Center, Universal Design, Wall removed between kitchen & DR
3. Kitchen Cabinets
Cabinets New/Reused: New Cabinet Doors and Boxes - Custom Sizes
Cabinet Manufacturer Details: Our cabinets were made by an Amish man who was just starting his own business. He didn't have any photos for us to look at, so he invited us to his home. We are blown away by his quality.
Cabinet Door Composition: Solid Wood Cabinet Doors
Cabinet Door (Wood): Maple Cabinet Doors
Cabinet Box Composition: Solid Wood Cabinet Boxes
Cabinet Box (Wood): Maple Cabinet Boxes
Cabinet Door Overlay: Full Overlay Cabinet Door
Cabinet Door Style: Slab Cabinet Door
Cabinet Color: Dark Wood Cabinet Door, Brown Cabinet Door
Cabinet Finish: Stained Cabinet Door
Cabinet Height: Multi-level height Cabinets
Mixed Cabinets? No mixed cabinets
Cabinet Special Features: Full Extension Cabinet Drawers, Soft-Close Cabinet Drawers, Cabinet Inserts of Clear Glass
4. Kitchen Countertops
Countertop New/Reused: New Countertops
Countertop Composition: Quartz Countertop (Zodiac, Silestone, CaesarStone, Cambria, etc.) , Marble
Marble Countertop: carrara
Quartz Countertop: Hanstone Specchio White
Countertop Color: White/Cream Countertop
Countertop Finish: Polished Countertop
Countertop Edge: Eased Edge Countertop
Mixed Countertops? Different Countertop for Baking
5. Kitchen Backsplash
Backsplash New/Reused: New Backsplash
Backsplash Material: Glass Backsplash
Backsplash Type: Mini Tile Backsplash
Backsplash Pattern: Running Bond Backsplash
Backsplash Tile Size: Backsplash Tile Rectangular - Small (1x2 to 2x4)
Backsplash Size: Backsplash all the way up the wall
Backsplash Color: Gray Backsplash, Green Backsplash
Backsplash Manufacturer: Solistone
Backsplash Details: Mardi Gras in Carrollton
6. Kitchen Appliances
Appliances: New/Reused? All New Appliances
Refrigerator Manufacturer: Whirlpool GSS26C4XXY
Refrigerator Color: Stainless "Look" Refrigerator
Refrigerator Special Features: Side-by-Side Refrigerator
Range Hood Manufacturer: Vent-a-Hood SLDH14-136SS
Range Hood Max CFM: 401-600 CFM Range Hood
Range Hood MUA: Regular MUA Range Hood
Range Hood Color: Stainless Steel Range Hood
Range Hood Special Features: Wall Mount Range Hood
Range Hood Details: We saved lots of money by purchasing a floor model.
Cooktop Manufacturer: Dacor PGM365-1S
Cooktop Color: Stainless Steel Cooktop
Cooktop Details: We saved a lot of money by purchasing a year old store model.
Wall Oven Manufacturer: Jenn-Air JJW9830DD
Wall Oven Color: Black Wall Oven
Wall Oven Special Features: Double Wall Oven, Convection Wall Oven
Wall Oven Details: we saved a lot of money by buying a dent and scratch. there is a teeny tiny scratch on the handle.
Dishwasher Manufacturer: Bosch SHE68E05UC
Dishwasher Color: Stainless Steel Dishwasher
Dishwasher Special Features: Elevated Dishwasher
Microwave Manufacturer: Sharp KB6425PS
Microwave Color: Stainless Steel Microwave
Microwave Special Features: Built-in Microwave in Drawer
Freezer Manufacturer: Frigidaire FKFH21F7HW
7. Kitchen Plumbing
Plumbing: New/Reused? Installed All New Plumbing Lines
Main Sink Manufacturer: Blanco Stellar Single Bowl with grid (441024)
Main Sink Material: Stainless Main Sink
Main Sink Shape: Rectangular Main Sink, Extra-Deep Main Sink
Main Sink Bowls: Single Bowl Sink
Main Sink Width: Main Sink 25 to 29 inches
Main Sink Mount: Negative Reveal Undermount Sink, Countertop Sink
Main Sink Special Features:
Main Sink Details:
Main Faucet Manufacturer: Delta Touch 2.0 Pilar
Main Faucet Color/Material: Stainless Steel Main Faucet
Main Faucet Finish: Brushed Main Faucet
Main Faucet Type: Pull-Out Spray Faucet, Single Handle Faucet
Main Faucet Details: Our sink is touch activated, which is especially nice my hands are dirty and filled with dough!
Prep Sink Manufacturer: Blanco Stellar Single Bowl (441026)
Prep Sink Material: Stainless Prep Sink
Prep Sink Width: Prep Sink under 20 inches
Prep Faucet Manufacturer: Delta Touch 2.0 Pilar
Prep Faucet Details: touch activated
Prep Faucet Color/Material: Stainless Steel Prep Faucet
Prep Faucet Finish: Brushed Prep Faucet
Plumbing Special Features: Instant Hot Water, Hands-free Faucet
Plumbing Additional Information: Our instahot is from Insinkerator. We will likely replace it at some point with one from Waste King. Our plumber ordered without consulting us, and the Insinkerator is already not working well after 6 months.
8. Kitchen Electric and Lighting
Electric Outlet Covers: Task Lighting Angle Power Strips TR Series
Electric Special Features: No Outlets in Backsplash, Outlet in Island, Plugmold under Cabinets
Lighting Special Features: Pendant over Island, Recessed Lighting, Under Cabinet Lighting
Lighting Details: Island Pendants: ET2 Fizz
Under Cabinet Lighting: Task Lighting Sempria LED UC Series
9. Kitchen Hardware
Hardware Type: Pulls Only
Hardware Pulls Manufacturer:
Hardware Pulls Material/Color: Stainless Knobs
10. Kitchen Flooring
Flooring New/Reused: New Flooring
Flooring Manufacturer: US Floors Marcas Areia cork planks
Flooring Material: Cork Floor
Flooring Color: Light Non-Wood Floor
Flooring Details: We love, love, LOVE the cork floor! It's quiet, soft, warm, easy to keep clean (no dust bunnies!) We'll never go back to hardwood!
11. Kitchen Pantry
Pantry Type: Walk-in Pantry (Built-in)
Pantry Size: 9'x9'10"
Pantry Depth: 12
Pantry Cabinet Features:
Pantry Shelving: I have furniture in the pantry for now until we can save up for custom shelving
Pantry Door: Swing-Out Door on Built-in Pantry
Pantry Shape: No shelves yet. I'm using bookcases for now.
Pantry Items: Bottled Goods in Pantry, Boxed Goods in Pantry, Broom/Dustpan in Pantry, Canned Goods in Pantry, Cookbooks in Pantry, Dishes in Pantry, Fresh Vegetables in Pantry, Paper Products in Pantry, freezer
Pantry Containers: Baskets in Pantry, Specialty Bins in Pantry, Glass Specialty Jars in Pantry, Plastic Specialty Jars in Pantry
Special Pantry Features: Appliances Used in Pantry, Electrical Outlet in Pantry, Ventilated Pantry
Pantry Other Information: http://dejongdreamhouse.blogspot.com/2012/02/personalizing-pantry-door.html
12. Kitchen Special Features
Eco-Friendly: Includes locally sourced materials, Includes low-energy or low-water-use components, Includes recycled components, Includes renewable resources
Convenience Items: Baking Drawer, Dish Drawer, Drawer Dividers, Under-Counter Recycling Bin, Recycling Pullout, Sink Tilt-out Tray, Spice Drawer, Trash Foot Pedal, Trash Pullout
13. Kitchen Decor
Decor Wall Color: Green Wall Color
Decor Wall Color Details: Sherwin Williams Oyster Bay
14. Kitchen Additional Comments
Opinions: Favorite Things (in no particular order):
- cork floors. So soft. So quiet. So easy to clean. LOVE LOVE LOVE them.
- quartz counters. Love the recycled glass and mirror. Easy to clean, no staining, despite my leaving turmeric and juice on it over night! eep!
- instahot. We drink a lot of tea. Now we drink more.
- backsplash. It stopped me in my tracks when I saw it in a display and if possible, I like it even more in my own kitchen.
- vacupan under the prep sink. I put it to good use!
- pantry. I love having everything I need to make anything I want.
- recycling center. I love that we have taken all the thinking out of recycling, and now most weeks we are able to make our goal of one bag of trash per week.
- layout. it's roomy, comfortable with multiple people, but everything for cooking dinner is easy to reach.
Before Photos: No
Floorplan Photos: No