Thursday, December 07, 2006

frenchkitty's Kitchen

frenchkitty's finished kitchen



Contact: frenchkitty (My Page)
Posted on Wed, Nov 29, 06
Link to kitchen photos: http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/frenchkitty_photos/

Details:
  • Cabinets: Cypress cabinets were made to look old, and I put old style hardware on them from Antiquehardware.com. I distressed the cypress with assorted tools, gave it a light stain and sealed with Briwax. Cabinet paint is SW Ivoire in satin latex.
  • Granite is New Venetian Gold granite
  • Backsplash: tumbled travertine from Lowe's
  • Floors are Old Chicago split brick.
  • Knobs are ORB Emtek as were all my glass doorknobs throughout my house. I love old things, but I wanted modern convenience!
  • Viking Stove all gas 48"
  • Viking range hood
  • Bosch dishwasher (love, love, love it!)
  • KitchenAid fridge
  • Rohl Shaw's original sink
  • the spice rack is Thompson's Spice Carousel (http://www.zaccardis.com/olde-thompson-revolving-spice-rack.html)
  • My doors in my house are old cypress doors from tear-downs in New Orleans (found BEFORE Katrina)
  • Walls: SW Blonde, Ceiling: SW Navajo White, trim SW Dover White, cabinets I did myself with SW Ivoire, chocolate glaze, and Minwax Sealer. Island is SW Black Iron with a gold glaze.
  • curtain: Butterick Waverly pattern- B4760
  • The pigs came from Hobby Lobby
We did almost everything ourselves that we could do including paint, flooring, trim, etc. There was a LOT of blood sweat and tears from DH and myself and our 2 kids.

Cabinets have three coats of SW Ivoire, sanded in between. Then I mixed three to one glaze to chocolate colored paint and wiped on and then right off (up and down strokes) with cheesecloth. I concentrated the glaze in the cracks and corners to make it authentic looking. I went through a huge box of cheesecloth I bought at Wal-M. Then three coats of Minwax poly, which gave it the creamy sheen. I have been using it for over a year and have no chips. A lot of steps, but really not hard, just waiting for the drying is the hard part because of the two sides. Oh, and the glazing is not hard. The trick is to not go over it more than once, because when the wet glaze hits the glaze already applied, it comes off! Once I realized that, it was a cinch!

6 comments:

Skioval said...

I love your kitchen!! I am also an antique lover. Did you paint your existing cabinets or were they new unfinished? Also what brand of chocolate paint and glaze did you use, and did you use 3 parts glaze to 1 part paint? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, skival, and thank you. My cabinets were built and installed, I painted and glazed them, then the cabinetmaker came back and put in the drawers and doors. I used SW Color Accents paint, latex satin 6068 brevity brown. And lastly, yes, 3 parts glaze to one part paint. Hope this helps!

Frenchkitty

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love your kitchen! You did a beautiful job! WOW!

When you did your cabinets did you glaze just the doors or did you do the base too? Thanks

Skioval said...

Hi Frenchkitty,

I would love to install brick flooring in my laundry room. Could you please tell me where you purchased it and was it hard to install? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I've spent hours and hours looking at all these kitchen photos/blogs, but until now I didn't want to consider painting my medium oak cabinets. Your painting and choices have made me reconsider. Lovely, lovely, lovely!!! I definitely want your inset tile ledge that's above your stove! Love it, love it, love it! So warm, elegant casual, homey, beautiful. You can certainly see that memories will be made here.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR KITCHEN !!Where did you get your pot rack I am guessing you made it .