Finished kitchen - red, yellow, and blue
Contact: redrange (My Page)
Posted on Mon, Jun 18, 07
Links to kitchen photos:
- Cabinets: Ikea, painted by our housepainter, and much modified in configuration thanks to the IkeaFans website. They're Ikea Tidaholm. Our painter sanded them, put on a coat of grey z-prime, put on an undercoat of color (black for the blue cabinets, ochre/orange for the yellow), did the top coat of color (I don't know the specific names of the blue and yellow), sanded through the top coat to reveal bits of undercoat, and then topped it all off with a clear coat of some sort of varnish used on floors. It was labor intensive, but he kept saying how excited he was to be doing it because he got to be creative. The blue is a little darker in person.
- Range: Bluestar in Ruby Red
- Hood: Modern Aire in Ruby Red
- Counters: soapstone (two or three different types - our stone guy had extra slabs from previous jobs, so we did more stone countertop than originally planned)
- Butcher block counter: Ikea, beech
- Hardware: RK International
- Tile backsplash: handpainted/glazed by me
- Mirror/iron thing behind stove: Victorian cast iron overmantel from a fireplace
- Pot racks: The Metal Peddler
- Fridge, DW: Jenn Air with custom copper panels
- Sinks: copper one from Handcrafted Metal; soapstone from Vermont Soapstone
- Faucets: Moen Aberdeen
- Floors: reclaimed/remilled VG fir from AltruWood (the wood used to be beams in the Pendleton Woolen Mills in Oregon, my home state), finished with OSMO Polyx Oil
- Shelves: brackets from VanDyke's, shelves in VG fir
- the paper towel holder is from Storables.
- The painting "Crow and Chickadee" is by Beth Sautter - add .com to her name and you'll get her website.
- The ModernAire hood is model PS1130, 54" wide and 30" tall, with chrome lip, rack, and bands. The 1400 CFM fan is on backorder, so I can't yet report on its performance.
The copper panels were made by a sheet metal guy our GC knows. We gave him the schematics that came with the JennAir appliances and he figured out the best way to do the panels. Some of them have returns on the edges -- like the lid of a shoebox -- and some of them have filler (cardboard?) between the copper and the actual door.
The tiles were one of those things where you get yourself into a project without realizing the scope until it's too late. I wanted antique Dutch tiles, or even modern Dutch tiles that were painted, not printed, but there was no way they'd fit in the budget. So I went to a pottery supply store, bought bisque tiles, bought glazes, and went to work. The pottery supply place also fired the tiles for me, for way cheaper than any of the 'paint your own' pottery places. In the end, I not only did the kitchen backsplash but also wrote out some quotations in red glaze for the bathroom, and painted pictures of animals for the fireplace surround. In all, I painted over 300 tiles. It took me a year. :o Like I said, I didn't realize the scope when I first started out. On the bright side, each finished tile cost about a dollar, and it provided a hobby.